Friday, February 16, 2024

Brainstorming period

Landing on an idea


So these last few days I've been working on brainstorming my film opening. After watching my inspiration films "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" by Susan Johnson, "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks, and "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Zoe Cassavetes I finally figured out what I want to do.




So what you see above is my current brainstorming for my film opening. I think something I really want to do is plan meticulously before filming to ensure I get the proper feeling to my audience. So first I wanted to think about each of the characters in my piece as well as all of their characteristics before beginning my script and storyboarding. So as you can see my three characters are going to be Gabby, a high school sophomore, Nicole, Gabby's fallen mother and Henry Gabby's dad. I also started thinking about conflicts that would arise in Gabby's life and how this story would develop past the film opening so that I can foreshadow and include elements that hint towards where the story is going.
Here's what my story is being thought of as:

A girl named Gabby is getting ready for her sophomore prom. There are numerous shots of her doing her makeup, hair, and getting dressed for prom. Then when she is putting on mascara she gets a call and it shows its from the hospital. On the phone she is informed that her mother is taking her last breath and she needs to get to the hospital asap. Once there she is able to say her last I love you before her mom passes away in her arms. Gabby then must go through the rest of her high school experience without a mother figure and someone to share it with. The rest of the story would then include Gabby and her dad Henry and their dynamic as a smaller family.

So I'm really excited in developing this story some more and coming up with costuming, who I really want for each of my characters as well as set design. I think I am starting to decide more about coloration of my film and how I want each of the characters to dress but I want to create some story boards tomorrow that will establish who my characters are further..

Something really exciting that I know I should wait to talk about but I just can't is my securing a hospital room to film the scenes of Gabby and Nicole. I think using an actual hospital room will definitely help my actors get more into character and will guide the story along and yeah I'm really excited about having that secure.

So until next time, Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Creative Reflection

 CCR Here is the link to my digital manual presentation for the first part of my CCR and this is the second link to my podcast which is the...